Espagnole is a classic brown sauce, here made from beef stock and Worcestershire sauce, seasoned with tomato puree, onions, red wine and spices.
Categories: Snacks / Sides
- 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
- 1/3 cup Onion - finely diced
- 1 tsp Dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp Red wine
- 2 tsps Garlic - minced
- 1/8 tsp Dried oregano
- 10 tsps Cornstarch
- 3 cups Kitchen Basics unsalted beef stock
- 1/8 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper - To Taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan to form a sauce. (Mix cornstarch with a little cold water to dissolve it before adding to saucepan.)
- Heat sauce to a simmer, constantly stirring with a whisk until mixture thickens.
- Transfer sauce mixture to a storage container.
- Let cool and refrigerate.
- Each ¾ cup of Zoned Espagnol (Brown) Sauce contains 1 Carbohydrate Zone Block. There are no Protein or Fat Blocks in this sauce recipe. This recipe is used as a component in other Zone Recipes.
- This sauce may be refrigerated for up to 5 days, or if you prefer, the sauce may be frozen and defrosted for later use. Although the sauce is freeze-thaw stable, after sauce has been frozen and defrosted, it may need to be stirred to reincorporate the small amount of moisture that forms on the sauce during the freezing and thawing process.