Start this easy chili recipe in a slow cooker just before you leave the house to run errands, so it’s ready for supper when you arrive home.
- 1 1/2 cups Onions - cut in half moons
- 3 Garlic cloves - minced
- 1 tsp Bay leaf - 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsps Chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp Hot sauce - 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 (14.5-oz) can Diced tomatoes - no salt tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (16-oz) bag Birds Eye frozen pepper stir-fry
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt - or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup Kidney beans - reduced sodium, Bush's - drained
- 10 oz Lean ground turkey breast
- 7 cups Baby spinach - spring salad mix or baby greens mix
- 2/3 cups Celery - thinly sliced
- 1 cup Red onion
- 1 cup Grated carrots
- 2 cups Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Guacamole
- 1 1/2 tbsps Almonds - slivered
- Layer chili ingredients in the order listed in a 3 1/2-to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
- Divide salad ingredients among 4 large dinner plates and top with guacamole and almonds.
- Divide chili into 4 large soup bowls and serve immediately.
- Layer chili ingredients in a saucepan on top of the stove, add 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock, cover, bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, until tender and juicy, stirring periodically to prevent burning. If using a gas stove, slip a heat deflector under the pot before reducing heat.