Chicken sausage is part of the tasty stuffing, along with onion, parsley, and tomatoes.
- Cooking spray - olive oil
- 1 cup White onion - thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Hot sauce - or to taste
- 2 tsps Whole caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup Parsley - or 2 tsp dries
- 2 links Al fresco sweet Italian chicken sausage - come pre-cooked
- 3 cups Zucchini - cut into 1/2
- 2 cups Summer squash - cut into 1/2
- 2 2 (14.5 oz) cans Diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Kitchen Basics unsalted vegetable stock - divided or water
- 1/3 cup Low-fat part-skim shredded mozzarella, Sargento
Total Fat 11g
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sauté 2 tablespoons of stock, onion, hot sauce, caraway seeds, parsley and sausage until browned in a cooking-sprayed skillet. Set aside.
- In covered casserole dish, layer 1/2 the zucchini and 1/2 the squash.
- Top with the sausage and onion mixture.
- Next layer the remaining zucchini and squash.
- Add water or vegetable stock, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until brown.