Louisiana Gumbo brought into the Zone with healthy ingredients that still have that southern flavor.
- 2 tsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Okra
- 1 cup Onions - diced
- 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 Bell pepper - chopped
- 1 cup Celery - chopped
- 2 cups Kitchen Basics seafood stock - (or vegetable)
- 1 1/2 cups Plum tomatoes - chopped (drained if using canned)
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsps Chili powder
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Bay leaf
- 2 tsps Old Bay seasoning - (optional)
- 1 tbsp Filé powder - (optional)
- 1/2 cup Black beans, BUSH'S - (rinsed/drained)
- 3 Scallions chopped
- 1 link Al fresco chipotle chorizo chicken sausage - (come precooked) sliced
- 4 oz Shrimp - cooked
Total Fat 10g
- Add olive oil to a soup pot.
- Add okra and sauté until just starting to lightly brown.
- Add onions, garlic, peppers, and celery and continue to cook until slightly soft. (Add a splash of stock if needed.)
- Add fish or vegetable stock, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, thyme, bay leaf, Old Bay seasoning, filé powder and black beans and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add in the scallions, sausage and cooked shrimp and simmer for another 5 minutes.