Steel-cut oats replace breadcrumbs in this healthier Zone version of meatloaf.
- Cooking spray
- 2 Egg whites - or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup Cooked beans - kidney, cannellini or whatever you have on hand
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsps Dried onion flakes
- 3/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper - or red pepper
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce - (optional)
- 10 oz Ground turkey
- 3 tbsps Steel cut oats - uncooked
- 3/4 cup Yellow bell pepper - or red bell pepper (minced)
- 1/2 cup Minced celery
- 1 cup Tomato sauce - divided
- 32 oz Birds Eye broccoli and cauliflower
- 1 tbsp Dried chives - or 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1/2 cup Low-fat cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 tbsp Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Apples
Total Fat 8g
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mist 9×5-inch loaf pan with olive oil spray.
- Combine eggs, beans, spices, and soy sauce in food processor or blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two-quart mixing bowl. Add meat, oats, onion flakes, bell pepper, celery and half the tomato sauce.
- Mix with clean bare hands and press into loaf pan.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce. Bake uncovered for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until meatloaf is firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile cook frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Drain vegetables and sprinkle with chives and cheese.
- Cover for 2 to 3 minutes; drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then transfer to serving plates.
- Cut loaf into 8 slices.
- Divide between 4 serving plates and serve immediately.
- Enjoy 1/2 apple for dessert.