Try to find ground beef that is less than 10 percent fat to ensure you have lean beef with your lentils to keep it healthy and in the Zone.
- 1/2 cup Onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery - chopped
- 2 Bay leaves - 2 leaves
- 1 1/3 tsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 7 oz Lean ground beef
- 2 cloves Garlic - crushed
- 1 cup Canned lentils - low sodium (or dried cooked)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced tomatoes - (or 3 chopped tomatoes)
- Italian seasoning - to taste
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 Apple
- Sauté the onion, celery and bay leaves in the extra virgin olive oil until the leaves become fragrant and the onions start becoming translucent.
- Add the ground beef and garlic. Continue cooking over low to medium heat until the beef is browned.
- Add the lentils and tomatoes. Continue cooking until lentils are heated through.
- Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (about 1 1/2 tsps).
- Divide into 2 portions.
- Have an apple for dessert.