This recipe comes from our Zone partner in Greece and makes great use of eggplant, ground turkey, and tomato sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups Eggplant - sliced lengthwise
- 5 tsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil - divided
- 1 1/2 cups Onion - diced
- 9 oz Lean ground turkey breast
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 cup 2% Milk
- 1 oz Low-fat Swiss cheese - shredded
- 2 Apples – Divided by three
Total Fat 12g
- Cut off ends of eggplant.
- Slice 1/4 inch strips from top to bottom (not rounds).
- Lightly brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Cook the eggplant on a grill pan over medium high heat on both sides until soft. Set aside.
- In a medium-size pan sauté onions in remaining olive oil (3 teaspoons) until translucent.
- Add ground meat and garlic and cook until meat is browned.
- Add in spices, salt and pepper and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Assemble moussaka in an 11×16-inch casserole dish.
- Begin with a thin layer of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Then add a layer of eggplant.
- Repeat procedure ending with meat mixture on top.
- Pour milk over top and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for 45 minutes or until well browned on top.
- Let set out for 20 minutes before serving.
- Have apples for dessert.