INTO A ROUTINE
The average person gained 15-20 pounds during 2020 and is probably still carrying that weight today. It truly was the perfect storm for increasing inflammation in our bodies between the high levels of stress, poorer eating choices, and sedentary behaviors. Rather than getting down about it, use this energy for change. Fall signals the start of something new between the end of summer, the changing of the seasons and the return to work and school. As we kick off the season take some time to think about what you want to accomplish to regain control of your health. Remember, the hardest part is getting started and the simplest changes will help you on your way. Here are a few tips to get your mindset ready for change.
- Keep Your Reason Change Visible: Everyone has their “why” when it comes to their health (e.g. feel good in your own skin, more energy, improved wellness etc). Whatever your reason for change is, write it down, and keep it in a visible place to see daily. Keeping your “why” in sight will help you stay grounded and focused when you want to give up.
- Find Your Accountability Team: When the alarm goes off at 5am to exercise or meal prep for the day, who is getting you out of bed so you don’t hit snooze? Know the people in your life who will help keep you accountable.
- Use History to Help Your Future: Write your weight history over time on a piece of paper. What were you doing when you hit your lowest points and your highest points. Knowing what it took to be successful and what it took to trip you up can help you determine where to start and how to navigate triggers along the way.
- Choose One Day of the Week to Meal Plan: Planning ahead each week will make the weeks go smoother. Yes, it takes time to think ahead, but it makes shopping easier, you’ll save money, and be better prepared on nights your schedule is tight.
- Make a Plan and Start Small: At the start of the week set your intentions and know your goals. Whatever works for you keep it realistic, and then the following week evaluate what worked and what didn’t and develop your next plan.
- Make Your Mind Your Friend Not Enemy: It’s easy to have negative self-talk speak louder than positive, but that works against you. Everyday find something positive to say to yourself about what you did and how it got you closer to your goal.
- Know Your Numbers: Many have put off important doctors appointments these last 18 months. Make the appointment, know your numbers and where your health stands. This can help set the stage and focus for your “why”.
- You’re Not Alone: Often when we start out on something we feel alone. The reality is someone is always working on improving their health. Find a community of like-minded friends and family who can keep you on track and support you along the way.
The tools below will help you get started on your journey to the Zone. Good luck!
All Your Zone Favorites
Free 7 Day Zone Diet Meal Plan
Getting started in the Zone has never been so easy. Whether you’re completely new to the Zone or just looking for some recipe inspiration, this meal plan takes the guesswork out. Here you’ll find an entire week’s worth of delicious, easy, and completely Zoned recipes that are backed by the science of Dr. Sears.
This is a great kick start to help you look, live, and feel your best in the Zone! Enjoy!